Five reasons to become a quitter!
Being a quitter sounds like a bad thing, but actually its a great thing for some things. One of those ‘things’ is smoking! If you’re a smoker and are thinking about quitting in 2020 then this is the blog for you to read!
The message is simple – It’s never too late to quit smoking.
The Healthy Ireland Survey found in 2018 about 22% of Irish adults are smokers, which translates to 830K smokers in Ireland. That’s a lot of smokers!
Now... we are not here to judge you or persuade you to stop... No, Drinagh Pharmacy just want you to know some basic facts in the blog below and how we can help those that are trying to quit, but need help. Actually one of the co-authors of this blog was a smoker for most of her life. She quit 10 years ago and is testimony to it changing her life in relation to her fitness, diet and over all wellbeing. The below is not meant to scare people into quitting, but to let you know life is better without smokes!
So Why Quit Smoking?
Smoking can cause fatal diseases such as pneumonia, emphysema and lung cancer. Smoking causes 84% of deaths from lung cancer and 83% of deaths from chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). You can slow down the progression of the disease and stopping smoking is the most effective way to do this.
Apart from the well known diseases above smoking generally causes other issues such as lack of breath, coughing, sore throat and headaches. These are the day to day symptoms a lot of smokers suffer.
We are going to give you 5 really good reasons for you to quit below, which maybe you didn’t know:
1. Circulation – the poisons from the tar in cigarettes enter your blood making it thicker, causing clotting and increases pressure on your heart.
2. Heart – Smoking damages your heart through poor blood circulation and increases the risks of coronary heart disease, heart attacks, strokes and peripheral vascular.
3. Skin – Smoking ages you! FACT! There is no easy way to say this, but if you smoke you will age a lot quicker than people who do not smoke. The reason is that smoking reduces the amount of oxygen that gets to your skin. The toxins in your body also cause cellulite. It has been shown through studies that non-smokers look much younger than smokers via their face and also the texture of skin on their body.
4. Bones – Smoking can cause your bones to become weak and brittle which affects you later in life!
5. Reproduction and fertility – Smoking can cause male impotence and reduce sperm count. Up to 120,000 of men in the UK UNDER 40 are impotent as a direct result of smoking.
Planning a baby? For women fertility is reduced and one study found that smokers were over three times more likely than non-smokers to have taken more than one year to conceive.
How to Quit?
Not everyone has the will power to just stop! Quite often those that just stop replace their addiction with food and put on weight. If you quit on New Years Day – Great! If you’re feeling the cravings now, we can help! If you want to quit – Great! Let us help you!
There are health solutions that every pharmacy offer that can help reduce the smoking cravings over time, helping you feel better and encouraging you to become more active and live a vibrant life, without too much discomfort.
Drinagh Pharmacy has a range of products that can help reduce cravings and help you be a quitter for good. Click HERE to order online.
We do recommend you speak with our online pharmacist first to assess which products will assist you before purchasing any smoking relief products. Click HERE to send us a message!
Smokers have individual needs and whilst the strength of one Nicorette gum may suite one smoker, it may not be right for the next smoker. Contact our pharmacist first if you have any questions at all about this or want to learn more about suitable options to assist you.